Hey guys! A great way to transition into a vegan lifestyle or to try out vegan recipes is to make vegan version of the foods you love. Now you have to be prepared for some major taste differences- but just be open to them! You may even prefer some of the changes, and discover foods that you’ve never had before. For example, this mac and cheese recipe doesn’t taste like traditional mac and cheese, but that doesn’t mean its not freaking delicious. Its creamy, comforting, satisfying and just outright amazing. Plus no animals needed to be harmed in order to enjoy it- so you can feel good about every single bite (its not hard when it tastes this good). The best part was it took 20 minutes start to finish- that is major winning in my books. Craving comfort food? Try out this recipe! Let me know if you do- I hope you guys love it!
- 10 ounces dried pasta (I used 1 package of organic pasta)
- 1 cup peeled & diced potato
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (not too small or it will be hard to remove from the water)
- 3/4 cup water from boiled veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (I used unsweetened almond milk and it was fine)
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I didn’t have any and it was great without too)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch paprika
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain & set aside.
- Bring several cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Add chopped potatoes, carrots and onion. Cook until vegetables are soft enough to blend- about 10 minutes depending on how small you chopped them.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables from the water. Place in a blender along with 3/4 cup of the water they were cooked in and the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over the pasta.
- Mix together and add salt to taste.
And voila! Its that easy. Share with vegan and non-vegan friends and family (or hoard it in your fridge and eat it all by yourself- can you tell I find it hard to share?)
(Find the original recipe here)
If you try this recipe out please let me know! Don’t forget to follow my Instagram for more posts like this: @lightlovelifeblog .
Thank you all for reading,
Love & Light!