Okay you guys- this is the best banana bread ever- period. You would never know it was vegan- its moist, has some crunch on the outside, is super chocolatey and has just the right amount of banana. So make this and share it with your friends and family and don’t tell them its vegan until they say how much they love it (or don’t and eat the whole thing yourself, both are good options).
Recipe (adapted from food network.ca) for 1 loaf:
- 1 tbs ground flax
- 3 tbs water
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp sugar for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Whisk together flax and water. Let sit for 15 mins in fridge to thicken. (This is your ‘egg’)
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt & cinnamon.
- In a seperate bowl, mash bananas into a purée, then add vanilla, coconut oil, almond milk, sugar & flax mixture.
- Add wet mixture to the dry and gently fold together- don’t over mix! Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled baking/loaf pan. Sprinkle the 1/2 tsp of sugar on top. (This added the most delicious sweet crunchiness).
- Bake for 50-55 minutes (if doubling it will be closer to an hour). When a skewer comes out relatively clean its ready. Let cool (for as long as you can manage- its going to smell really good) on a wite rack before cutting.
Enjoy! I think adding in some walnuts would be amazing in there. Let me know if you try it out!
Love & Light,